Monday, February 05, 2007

Sweaters For Charity

I'm still busy working on sweaters for the Cheyenne River Reservation Sweater Challenge.
There is no specific number of sweaters one has to make or needs to make. It's all up to what and how many one wants to make and send.

Being that it is very cold up in South Dakota right now, I am trying to make as many as I can.

If anyone is interested they can send sweaters to any of the addresses listed on the homepage of our Yahoo Group - Native American Support


My Latest Sweater Experiments

I'm getting quite good at working up these small sweaters on my ISM. I was having a problem rehanging the sleeves, but now I pick up and knit the first row by hand and then transfer to the machine.

Here's a little green sweater whose yoke was made first in garter stitch and then the other parts hung on the machine to knit up.





I saw a sweater with this type of rectangular yoke in an old Knitters magazine. So I thought I could knit it up by hand then attach the ends and continue on using the machine.



Garter stitch stretches and is larger in gauge than stockinette stitch, so the top is a bit larger.
I think next time I will try a ribbed yoke to draw in the neckline.

1 comment:

Tracy Batchelder said...

So cute! My mother-in-law used to knit sweaters for Native American children. I wonder if it was the same group? I wish she was still living so I could ask her. She was a wonderful example to me: always knitting for others.