Monday, January 19, 2009

Another Christmas Present Revealed

This is what I knitted for the Grandson for Christmas 2008.

Every little boy (and big ones too) could use a Nintendo pillow in their room!

Side 1


Side 2

I made both sides on the knitting machine to fit an 18" pillow form.
Then I crocheted up 3 sides, used some white yarn to weave thru the stitches, making 4 sections for side 1. This was just a temporary guideline to help me place the stitches evenly. After all the duplicate stitching was done I just pulled the yarn out.

I found the two Mario Kart charts on Animal Crossing Ahead.
I had to adjust the original patterns which are in squares to a knitting type chart, where the height is taller than the width. Lots of time spent on Excel!

The Yoshi head was the one I used on his sweater a few years back. I think I used KnitPro to make that and this time I just downsized it to fit the pillow section.

For the 1up mushroom, I used this dishcloth chart.
I don't know much about Nintendo games and rules, so I made the mushroom red. Showed it to my son and he said that 1up mushrooms are supposed to be green! I had to carefully clip and pull out all the red and do it over with green. Oh what a mess that was!

The really neat Mario Jumping scene I found at the WikiKnitting site.
Lots of charts!

The Nintendo Logo - KnitPro again.

After all the duplicate stitching was done, I just finished crocheting the edges together.

He loves it!

9 comments:

Kathryn said...

My son would have loved this pillow for his bedroom. I'm thrilled you used a knitting machine to make it.

Monika said...

This pillow is amazing. I think my son would have loved this pillow too, when he was younger. :o)

Wool Winder said...

Looks like a lot of work went into that pillow. It's wonderful!

LizzieK8 said...

I WANT A KNITTING MACHINE! Ahem.... My son, too would kill for this.

Lovely!

Linda in Fl said...

Scrolling down quickly before the kiddo's get a gander at that!!! You are a marvel at that knitting machine!!!

Mimi said...

Oh MY Dear *** my 9 grandson may never see this or hear you made it for you grandson. My son should be banned from your site as well. Hats off. I just made your Wristerz which turned out so well. I love the pattern.Keeper

Enedina N. said...

oh my gosh! it's funny and nice!!!! you are amazing!!!! thanks for share the links....thousand kisses for you!

LeslieK said...

I would love a copy of the Yoshi Kart knitting pattern if you still have it!!!

rae solomon said...

hI,
Mt GS would flip over the mario pillow. How can I get the pattern please?

Thank you:)
Rae