Every little boy (and big ones too) could use a Nintendo pillow in their room!
I made both sides on the knitting machine to fit an 18" pillow form.
Then I crocheted up 3 sides, used some white yarn to weave thru the stitches, making 4 sections for side 1. This was just a temporary guideline to help me place the stitches evenly. After all the duplicate stitching was done I just pulled the yarn out.
I found the two Mario Kart charts on Animal Crossing Ahead.
I had to adjust the original patterns which are in squares to a knitting type chart, where the height is taller than the width. Lots of time spent on Excel!
The Yoshi head was the one I used on his sweater a few years back. I think I used KnitPro to make that and this time I just downsized it to fit the pillow section.
For the 1up mushroom, I used this dishcloth chart.
I don't know much about Nintendo games and rules, so I made the mushroom red. Showed it to my son and he said that 1up mushrooms are supposed to be green! I had to carefully clip and pull out all the red and do it over with green. Oh what a mess that was!
The really neat Mario Jumping scene I found at the WikiKnitting site.
Lots of charts!
The Nintendo Logo - KnitPro again.
After all the duplicate stitching was done, I just finished crocheting the edges together.
He loves it!