Friday, June 13, 2008

123 And One More



Trio of Hatz


3 earflap hats using Tammy Wright's In A Flap Cap pattern.

Of course I modified it! I changed the stitch counts to be able to knit with 2 strands of worsted wt yarn at 3st/1".
And I even short rowed the neck/flap part as you can see on the left most cap.



Now for the Hat Parade:

Hat #6
Woolease yarn with a doubled brim and knit on the Innovations Knitting machine with hand knit crown.




Hat #7
Knit following instructions as per original pattern, but with 2 strands of yarn.
Earflap part could be a bit closer to the eyes, I thought it was too wide apart.


Hat #8
I short rowed the flap part and added one more ridge to the brim. Original had 3 rows of garter stitch - I did 4 ridges. And I also adjusted the flap/neck stitches by adding more and decreasing the opening stitches. The face part now looks better protected from the cold winds in South Dakota.


Hat #9

Now this one might look a bit smaller but I think that is due to the yarns I used.
On this one I added one more short row for a total of 4 short rows and this made the flaps hang down longer and shortened the neck back a bit more. One could even add a button and button the two flaps under the chin. The rest of the hat is the same, 4 brim ridges, same depth.

So that brings my HATZ totals to 9.
I cast on for another one minus flaps.

Still working on the garter stitch baby blanket and I have one square done.
But now Lizzie has tempted me with EZ's Garter Stitch Blanket from the Opinionated Knitter. I have the book, but I think I'll wait finish my squares of garter stitch first.
Knitting on slippers for little feet and a baby sweater too.
Stay tuned!

2 comments:

LizzieK8 said...

Great Hatz! I unvented one of those last year for a friend. I just took a regular hat with ribbed brim and added a flap at the back to keep his neck warm. Uglier than sin but exactly what he wanted!

I got my first corner turned yesterday on my Garter Stitch Blanket. It's so cool to watch that happen!

Just read through Tammy's pattern. Got immediately confused on her joining procedure till I realized that's what it was! :) Great pattern.

Wool Winder said...

I like the short rows added to the flap.