Friday, April 04, 2008

Spring Colors

I must be in the mood for spring colors.
Bright cheery yellow and white for this hat.

The Butterfly Hat



It's a free pattern on the website, but if you are on Ravelry, you can download the free PDF file.

I used odds and ends of worsted wt yarn and only cast on 80 sts with size 6 and 8 needles.

And don't you just love the way the top decreases work out?

I'd like to make another one in some bright varigated yarn.




More Spring Colors

Pink and white wristers.



I am experimenting with my Sideways Mitten pattern and this is my first prototype.

Joan asked me if I short rowed the cuff. Yes I do as you can see the tiny little holes and also by the color changes.

But I was thinking of trying out another way - mabye just knit a garter stitch rectangle (no short rows for the cuffs ) then work the thumb part, then the next garter stitch rectangle.j

OR - I could just knit a big garter stitch rectangle and then add on the short row thumb part at the end.

I have too many ideas just running around in my head!

And I dared to order this pattern because I just HAD to knit one!

Shelly Kangs Slip Stitch Baby Hat

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Sideways mitten pattern looks friendly. Is it?????

Love your new yellow hat. Thank you for the link to the pattern, Mariella.

Wool Winder said...

The decreases on the Butterfly Hat remind me of your star blanket.

There is a pattern for garter stitch fingerless mitts in Weekend Knitting if you need a little inspiration. I think it uses short-rows and just a slit for the thumb.

LizzieK8 said...

I've found that garter stitch really is stretchy enough for cuffs without shaping. Instead of shaping one could just increase a few sts when moving onto the hand part.

The hat is gorgeous. I haven't tried the butterfly stitch, but that might just be something needed to be tried!

Are you picking up Magic Gloves to go with the muffatees? I'd gotten three pair and matched them up with the first three pairs of muffatees. Now I need to go get some more!