Here's a bunch of baby booties from a free pattern I found at Fabulous Yarns.
They're really easy to make and I've been making a few, using up those little bits of yarn one has lying around.
I didn't like the tie strings much, so I cast on 32 instead of 34 and decreased the cuff part down to 20 stitches.
Felted Slippers A Success!
My second pair turned out just as nice as the first pair and this time I wrote down all the "mods" I made to the original pattern by Robin Smith found here.
Please check her pattern for her recommended needle size.
I did NOT use the same size she used because I knit way too loose and I always have to downsize.
And yes I finally found my lost pattern AFTER I finished knitting these - it was on my computer desk all the time under a mess of papers......
All done and drying on a towel!
Here's my mods:
I cast on 28 stitches, placing a marker at center.
Row 1 (WS) K3, purl across, knit last 3 sts
Row 2 (RS) Knit across, increasing in stitch before and after marker (30 sts)
Repeat rows 1 & 2, keeping to 3 st garter border and increasing in the middle until you have 34 sts.
Continue in st stitch, keeping garter st borders until there are 12 ridges on RS.
Knit one more row and fold piece in half with wrong sides together and work a 3 needle bind off on 4 sts.
This will leave you with 27 sts.
You can transfer this work to a small #11 circ or DP’s and start working in rounds.
I increased one stitch in the first round to make it an even 28 sts.
I knit on 28 sts for about 20 rows or 6 inches more.
The total length of my slipper from beginning to before toe decreases was 12”
Start decreasing for toe.
Rnd 1: K2, K2tog around (21 sts)
Rnd 2: Knit
Rnd 3: K1, K2tog around (14 sts)
Rnd 4: K2 tog across, break yarn gather up remaining 7 sts.
I put mine in a pillowcase and threw in a hot washer, pulling out and checking after 10 min of agitation and kept on checking every 5 minutes or so until they were the desired size. (It took 20 minutes total to reach my size)
These came out to fit my woman’s size 8W foot – so there is plenty of room.
I had made some earlier and did not check them often enough and they came out a small child’s size – so checking is important.